Seriously, though, I was really just getting tired of those clothes from my first capsule. I think I made a few mistakes when putting that capsule together. So here are some lessons learned:
- With 33 items in your closet, make sure you like every.single.one. I had three pieces in my last wardrobe that I didn’t particularly like. Why did I include them? Because I thought they would come in handy I think. Also, specifically with that red pair of pants, I really liked the idea of making them work. Ideas don’t really come in handy when you have 33 pieces of clothing to choose from.
- It helps to LOVE every single piece of clothing. Not too long into my first capsule I was already over it. When I opened the closet every morning there were very few pieces I was excited to work with.
- I need color in my life. I stuck with a pretty neutral palate last time because that’s what I’ve seen of most capsule wardrobes and the idea of it made sense. But man, color really helps brighten my mood. And in the grey rainy winters of Portland, color would have really come in handy. It really clicked when I opened my closet earlier this week and the boy said it looked like I worked in a funeral home. Also, I was SO excited for having color again in this second capsule.
- I’m a lot more casual than I care to admit. Luckily I work in a place where jeans are appropriate. I tried to keep a few nicer tops in that capsule for work, but really I rarely reached for them. I just like t-shirts. And I think a good fitting t-shirt is totally appropriate.
I also made one of changes in the rules of this capsule:
- Purses don’t count. Turns out I use the same three purses all the time. They’re not a part of my outfit. They are literally just to carry things from point a to point b. I don’t consider them a part of my outfit so I don’t consider them a part of my capsule.
So the capsule! I decided to just share two pictures for this capsule, my closet and my shoes :). But I will give you a breakdown. My 33 pieces are made up of 4 pairs of pants, 4 tank tops, 5 short sleeved tops, 4 long sleeved tops, 2 dresses, 4 cardigan-y things, 1 jacket, and 8 (count them 8) pairs of shoes. 7 of the items were new (and purchased with slow fashion in mind) everything else I already had from before. PS as with my first capsule, I have (in addition to this) one nice outfit for a special occasion – it consists of a dress and a pair of heels. And it’s something I already owned.
Lessons learned from prepping this capsule:
- shop your own clothes before you actually go shopping. I don’t really want to admit how much shopping I did in preparation for this capsule. I think I was just so stunted by my first capsule and also so fascinated by slow fashion. At the end of the day I only ended up using 7 new pieces though. To be honesty a lot of my clothes were still at my parents house until a few days ago. But now they are with me. And I will always start with my stuff first.
- It’s hard to know how something will fit when buying online. So know yourself. Know what brands you like. See if you can find a store cause it’s just so much easier to try things on that way.
- FIT FIT FIT. Stop buying things that don’t look quite right. You won’t wear them. They will keep looking not quite right no matter how many times you try them on.
- It’s nice to have a color scheme in mind, but I have a feeling I’m gonna just totally blow that out of the water this summer with my third capsule. So yeah.
Alright, lovelies, that’s what’s new in my closet. Here’s to hoping the next three months go much more smoothly than the previous three months!